The ForSci Associates DNA Training Program
Competency and Proficiency
|The DNA analyst training program is designed to meet the highest laboratory standards, meeting U.S. and International recommendations in competency, proficiency, and excellence. Many “forensic programs” have limited resources for training new analysts. Often this results in students graduating with only minimal laboratory experience – a level insufficient to handle complex forensic casework. At ForSci Associates, we will provide students with a program tailored to meet their specific needs. Moreover, we will provide them with the necessary hands-on experience to master the processing of forensic casework. This includes thorough training using a vast base of serological methods, microscopic techniques, and forensically validated kits for DNA extraction, DNA quantitation, and STR amplification. In accordance with U.S, European, and other International standards, the ForSci Associates training program uses only the highest quality components for training and forensic casework. In order to achieve the highest level of competence, students must complete a series of 32 criminal cases which test their knowledge and techniques. These tests include, but are not limited to:
- The screening and visual identification of biological stains by ALS (Alternate Light Sources) on various artifacts.
- The screening and microscopic analysis of vaginal/rectal/penile swabs in rape cases. This includes preparing slides for morphological (Baecchi’s stain) and fluorescent (Sperm Hy-Liter®) microscopy (32 samples).
- The screening of evidentiary material for chemical indications of salivary amylase using the SALIgAE® and/or Phadebas® Test(s) (32 Samples)
- The screening of evidentiary material for chemical indications of blood using the HemDirect® and/or phenolphthalein Test(s) (32 Samples)
- The screening of evidentiary material for chemical indications of seminal fluid using RSID Semen®, acid phosphatase, and/or prostate phosphatase (PAP) Test(s) (32 Samples)
- The screening of evidentiary material for various human body fluids by Rapid Stain Identification RSID tests (16 Samples).
- The inorganic (Chelex®) extraction of DNA from evidentiary materials and subsequent sample purification/concentration (32 Samples)
- The organic (PCIA) extraction of DNA from evidentiary material (32 Samples)
- The use of robotic platforms for poly-magnetic (Qiagen EZ1) DNA Isolation (32 samples)
- The quantitation of human DNA by ABI's Quantifiler™ Human Quantification Kit and the Quantifiler™ Y Human Male DNA Quantification Kit qRT-PCR platforms (32 samples)
- The generation and interpretation of Human DNA profiles using the AmpFISTR® Profiler™ Plus System (50 Samples)
- The generation and interpretation of Human DNA profiles using the AmpFISTR® Cofiler™ System (50 Samples)
- The generation and interpretation of Human DNA profiles using the AmpFISTR® Identifiler™ System (32 Samples)
- The generation and interpretation of Human DNA profiles using the AmpFISTR® Y-Filer™ System (32 Samples)